Monday, March 7, 2011

Power Quest - Master Of Illusion (2008)



Tracklist:
01. Cemetery Gates
02. Human Machine
03. Civilised?
04. Kings Of Eternity
05. Master Of Illusion
06. The Vigil
07. Save The World
08. Hearts And Voices
09. I Don't Believe In Friends Forever
10. Never Again

Country: Great Britain
Genre: Power metal
Label: Napalm Records
Released: March 26:th, 2008
Website: http://www.power-quest.co.uk

Line-up:
Alessio Garavello - vocals, rhythm guitars
Andrea Martongelli - lead guitars
Steve Scott - bass
Steve Williams - keyboards
Francesco Tresca - drums

I am twenty-seven years old.

What, you may ask yourself, does this have to do with Power Quest and their brand-spankin' new album Master Of Illusion? It has everything to do with it. Let me explain: I feel that I have come to a stage of maturity in my life where I can actually tell what I want from life and what I am ready to give in return. As an adult human being, what I want most in life is this: Happiness. A sense of detachment from life. A place to breathe. Somewhere I can escape to, if only for a short while, and experience nothing but bliss.

This is where Power Quest enter. For those of you familiar with my reviews of their earlier albums Neverworld (2004) and Magic Never Dies (2005) you should know that I consider the band one of my top-five bands, any category, anytime. Like few other bands, these guys manage to deliver one catchy tune after another, whilst sacrificing nothing whatsoever in terms of musicianship or diversity. You see, Power Quest do not simply stick to any one kind of music. The basis is melodic metal, but they switch from up-tempo to mid-tempo to ballad so effortlessly you'd think they have done nothing in their lives but this. There is a strong sense of diversity in all their albums, with the debut perhaps constituting an exception (which doesn't mean it's not good). And Steve Williams's divine abilities in the catchy-songwriting-department are so good it's almost ridiculous.

Anyway, I digress. The point I'm trying to make here is that you know what you get with Power Quest, but only in that you know you'll get quality. Their newest offering Master Of Illusion is a prime example of that. Two things are clear right from the start: They've become heavier (not that strange, since frontman Alessio Garavello's started playing rhythm guitar), and they've slowed down in tempo somewhat. Not to worry, however: The double bass is there, yet it is used sparingly and more wisely than before. This is something that really did not sink in with me until after a few spins. What they've done, though, is incorporate more changes in tempo within songs ("The Vigil" being a fine example). You still have "regular" up-tempo tracks like "Kings Of Eternity" and "Never Again" (the former of which boasts a chorus larger than life, somewhere between "Galaxies Unknown" and "Strike Force"), so don't worry. If there is one complaint (which really would be nit-picking, by the way) I've had in the past it would be the fact that the rhythm guitars could stand to get somewhat crunchier. Presto! Ten seconds into opening track "Cemetery Gates" you're just know that this is an improvement for the band. I'd not go so far as to call the guitars "aggressive", but they're definitely heavier and more to the forefront. After all, this is rock 'n roll, so this evolution is definitely for the better.

I'm not going to go over each track this time, but I've just got to give a special mention to one song. Before even hearing the new album, I'd been going over the songs in my head, trying to figure out what kind of tunes they'd be, just by reading the titles. I had "Save The World" pegged down as an up-tempo track, which it is not. It is something that really does not need such worldly descriptions as "up-tempo" or "mid-tempo." Instead, it is something out of this world, a creation so glorious and beautiful that, along with "Kings Of Eternity" and "The Vigil", it has to be one of my favorites. The key change at the end of this song gives me goosebumps.

The best part of this album, though, lies in the fact that it gives me something new each time. I still haven't figured it out completely, and I hope I never do. This is an album I want to go back to, again and again. From me, there can be no higher praise. The five members of Power Quest have created a whole that fills that quota of happiness I spouted off about at the start of this review. I can wander off to my breathing place now, carrying with me Alessio's voice, Andrea's guitar, Steve S's bass-lines, Steve W's keyboard licks and Francesco's incredible drumming. They did it again, folks.

(Originally written sometime in 2008 [I reckon]).

No comments:

Post a Comment